Chef’s Note: If you don’t have quinoa, substitute brown rice or whole-wheat couscous, but be sure to adjust the cook time as needed.
- 1½ cups low-sodium vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen chopped, mixed vegetables such as peas, carrots, green beans, corn
- Add vegetable stock or water to medium saucepan.
- Bring stock or water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in quinoa, salt, and pepper.
- Switch heat to low and cover pot with lid.
- Cook until liquid is evaporated and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in veggies with a fork.
- Place lid back on quinoa so that the heat from the quinoa cooks the vegetables.
- Serve immediately or place into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Yields: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup
Nutrition Information per Serving:
Total Fat: 2.5g
Total Carbohydrate: 35g